It's so easy to say but not quite as easy to do. I just finished watching the Lifetime movie of JK Rowling's life. The similarities are striking. She knew exactly what she wanted to do but wasn't really sure how to go about it. Everyone told her it wasn't practical and she needed something more reliable. She was pleasing everyone else, it wasn't until rock bottom that she realized she had nothing to lose and finally made herself happy.
Journalism is not a career you go into for fame and fortune. It is one of those "impractical" career choices, the crazy hours, low pay and unpredictability. But for those that follow that path do so to follow a passion, a desire that is worth more than a nice, fat paycheck. When you find something you love to do and it's one of those things that you just know is right. Words cannot quite capture the feeling.
It's strangely similar to college selection. I visited several schools but when it was the one, I knew that I wouldn't be fully happy anywhere else and that it was the one place were I could get what I wanted out of the college experience. It didn't have what I thought I wanted, but had exactly what I didn't know I needed. When I look at other job openings or consider other locations, it just doesn't feel right. Some are definitely close but nothing is quite like DC. Looking back through old scrapbooks, I realized that this is in my blood, this is what I am and who I'm meant to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment